I focused on just one object tonight, since we didn’t get out there and set up until about 10 PM and it was cold: the Dumbbell Nebula again. This time, it turned out rather well! But the accepted frames ratio was terrible: out of the 125 I took, I only deemed 23 to be good, and DSS only took 18. At 30s apiece, that’s 9 minutes total. But, the sky was fairly dark, and it was high in the sky, so it turned out rather well. It was also cold, which reduced camera noise, and it was subtracted easily by DSS. Also, my alignment must have been pretty decent, since the nebula stayed in nearly the exact same position for most of the time.
M27 Dumbbell Nebula
Nikon D3100 on the C8
[Author's Note: Wow, my definition of "rather well" has definitely changed!]
I’m quickly hitting the limit of what I can do, though. 18/125 photos is awful. And it was at 250° azimuth and 50-60° altitude, so no problem at all with high field rotation. It’s just periodic tracking error. I really need a wedge :/
Post a Comment